By Sam & Jordi Woods
Whether you are in the fashion industry or not, you may have heard the term “dopamine dressing” thrown around as the “next big trend”. If this styling term is completely foreign to you don’t worry, it won’t be for long.
In fact, “feel good” dressing is something we have been teaching for years! You may have even seen or heard our #DressUpItFeelsGood hashtag on numerous occasions if you follow our social media pages.
So, what is Dopamine Dressing?
Dopamine; is a hormone associated with happiness and serotonin which regulates our mood.
Pretty much “dopamine dressing” is Fashion That Makes You Feel Good. As we mentioned earlier, “feel good fashion” is something we have always taught at VC (#DressUpItFeelsGood) however, this year the fashion industry is taking it into it’s own hands and encouraging everyone to “dopamine dress”.
How do you “Dopamine Dress”?
It is as simple as it sounds… Dopamine dressing is wearing clothes that make you feel happy, energised and uplifted! It doesn’t include a specific “trend” or “colour” but more what works for your personal; colour palette, body shape, style and personality!
While it may sound super convenient to “dopamine dress” it can easily lead to some bad habits, feeling overwhelmed with no direction or inspiration and a “whatever” attitude. For example, “feeling comfortable” in our track pants isn’t really what it means to “dopamine” and “feel good” dress!
Below are a few do’s & don’ts when it comes to dopamine dressing.
- wear colours that make you smile
- opt for shapes that show off areas on your body that you like
- wear your favourite top, pants, skirt, accessories and give them your own twist
- seek out help and guidance from a Stylist if you need inspiration. There is no shame in getting help or being pushed outside your comfort zone. We have many stylish clients who come to us for added inspiration and to try something they may not have thought to do
- ensure you are wearing clothing appropriate to the situation i.e no ball gowns to do the groceries! However, a sequin skirt with a graphic tee and sneakers for a lunch date would be perfect for “feel good” dressing
- have fun and let your creative side run wild
- become lazy and have an “it will do” attitude
- think you are too old to wear fun, funky clothes
- listen to those around you. If you feel comfortable, then wear what you want
- have any bad distractions. These can include wearing the wrong colours, too many accessories, unflattering garments on your silhouette
- try to be something you are not. If you have a modern, classic style don’t try to go over board with out there extravagant colours and prints – you are not being true to yourself and it will show in your outfit and demeanour
- bring people down who are wearing what they want
The point of Dopamine Dressing is waking up, putting on garments that make you feel fabulous and showcasing your inner style to the world.
This week, we encourage you to go in to your wardrobe, pull out an outfit that you love and have the courage to wear it! (Just ensure it is appropriate to the situation).
If you do need some Feel Good Fashion Inspiration check out our VC Style & Beauty Portal – www.patreon.com/vibrantconcepts
Vibrantly yours,Sam & Jordi Woods x
Understanding styling and fashion is one thing. Having a super-natural flair for making everyday people look incredible is another. Once you’ve met Sam & Jordi Woods, it’s hard not to catch their infectious passion for dressing to match your own lifestyle, personality and charisma. Through their consultancy ‘VibrantConcepts’, Sam & Jordi have transformed the lives of thousands. Let Sam & Jordi show you how to look and feel fabulous everyday at their Style Studio in Erina – learn the art of illusion dressing, colour matching, styling, translating fashion trends and savvy shopping with their unique VC Signature Styling Systems and services that are truly personal and really work! To contact VibrantConcepts phone 0425 221 676.