by Sam & Jordi Woods
Winter headwear trends & how to wear them!
Many clients love the look of hats but when it comes to picking headwear there can be so much confusion. Some of the biggest concerns we hear are “what shape should I look for”, “is there a particular style that is in fashion” and very commonly, “can hats be worn indoors?”.
This article we are hoping to take the stress out of hunting for headwear by answering some of these concerns and showcasing 3 of this season’s key headwear trends along with things to consider before taking your favourite hat home!
Ensure a beanie is in your perfect colour; as it is so close to your face and often with your hair tucked away, the wrong colour can leave you feeling washed out and drab. Always opt for a colour that perfectly compliments your complexion’s warm or cool undertone and intensity.
Consider the shape of the beanie and your face shape:
- round face shapes need to opt for angled (pictured above) and slouchy beanies. Beanies with a roll front are great as they will add shape to the face
- square face shapes are best in rounded, fitted and slouchy beanies as these will soften the edges of the face
- oval face shapes look best in fitted and slouchy beanies pulled down lower on the face
Berets are a great version of a “beanie style” for all face shapes as they can be easily styled for various face shapes
This season the pom pom beanie has taken the reins, adding a touch of fun to your look.
- Make sure the brim of the cap is no wider than your cheekbones
- Play with your hair! Caps are a great way to still do a messy low bun, side pony tail or braid ensuring your hair is done if you decide to take your cap off
- Opt for a colour that is in your colour palette and consider if you need high or low contrast against your hair colour, complexion and what you wear your cap with
- If you feel that a cap “squashes” you, opt for a style with a raised front; thus creating height
This season the “trucker” cap is the new baseball cap and will instantly “dress up” and give a modern, chic look to your more casual items
- Ensure the brim of a hat is not too small nor too large for your frame
- Make sure a hat fits comfortably; not too small nor too big
- Consider the material of your hat? How will it be stored? Do you need a hat that can be folded and put into a handbag?
- Ensure the crown of a hat is not too high as this can add unnecessary length to the face shape
- Choose a hat that is in your colour palette always! It will frame your face and the wrong colour can make any blemishes or dark circles more prominent
This season the fedora is still big however, the bucket hat has has stolen the show! Easy to carry around, warm and a great form of casual sun protection for those sunny Winter days.
THE 101 ON HATS INSIDE
There is a common misconception and stigma around hats indoors and to be honest, the discussion is still open for debate. However, as stylists we believe that if you are not being rude or disrespectful, then hats have a place indoors. These days hats are not only worn for warmth and fashion but they are a key accessory in winter dressing as they can create interest to an outfit. There are a few things to consider when wearing hats indoors:
- Be respectful – if you are in a country club or RSL, then you should pay your respects and remove your hat
- Ensure your eyes are easily seen; this creates a sense of security and trust with those around you
- Make sure your hat is not blocking someone’s view or causing them any inconvenience
Happy Headwear Hunting!
Vibrantly yours, Sam & Jordi Woods xx
Images: Model images from Morgan & Taylor (all accessories available at the VibrantConcepts Style Studio – Erina)
Understanding styling and fashion is one thing. Having a super-natural flair for making everyday people look incredible is another. Once you’ve met Sam & Jordi Woods, it’s hard not to catch their infectious passion for dressing to match your own lifestyle, personality and charisma. Through their consultancy ‘VibrantConcepts’, Sam & Jordi have transformed the lives of thousands. Let Sam & Jordi show you how to look and feel fabulous everyday at their Style Studio in Erina – learn the art of illusion dressing, colour matching, styling, translating fashion trends and savvy shopping with their unique VC Signature Styling Systems and services that are truly personal and really work! To contact VibrantConcepts phone 0425 221 676.