Major upgrade works are commencing at Woy Woy’s popular Peninsula Leisure Centre to ensure its heating, ventilation and air conditioning system keeps the gym, pool, courts and other areas the correct temperature for the thousands of visitors who use this facility each year.
Peninsula Leisure Centre has 2.5million litres of swimming water which is heated and 22.5million cubic metres of air that’s conditioned to create an enjoyable recreation and exercise experience for the 450,000 visits each year.
The Centre is now 17 years old and while it looks in amazing shape, major components of the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system need to be replaced to ensure the pool, creche, courts, gym and other spaces are running at the perfect temperature, and can have new energy efficiencies incorporated to do our bit for the environment.
Works start on 26 April 2022 with completion due October 2022, weather depending.
This project is funded by Council general revenue with a $3,854,000 budget.
Facility impacts from upgrade works
- During this period there will be some disruptions to the gym and multi-purpose rooms, and the number of showers available for use will be reduced.
- The outdoor area to the north of the pool hall will be fenced off for the duration of works. The carparks along the western edge of the Pool Hall will be reserved for use to place construction equipment and handle deliveries. The driveway will be closed at times throughout the works for crane access.
- Temporary systems for pool hall space heating, pool water heating, and shower hot water heating will be in place, so there will be small fluctuations in air and water temperatures while the work is carried out.
- Members will be advised of any impacts or you can follow the PLC Facebook page for updates.
Council Administrator, Rik Hart said this Council facility is well used by both locals and visitors to the area.
“This high-quality facility provides an abundance of fun and engaging spaces for the community to play, keep active, rehabilitate and connect socially,” Mr Hart said.
“Not only is this a popular sport and recreational facility for residents, but it’s also an extra tourist attraction for visitors to enjoy when holidaying on the Peninsula.”
The Peninsula Leisure Centre facility includes
- Indoor heated FINA-certified 50m pool with electronic timing system
- Indoor heated 25m program and rehabilitation pool
- Indoor heated leisure pool with water slide
- Children’s pool catering for ages baby to pre-schooler with slides and interactive water features
- Outdoor Aqua Splash Park
- Health and fitness centre with 24-hour access, group fitness classes including Les Mills programs and aqua fitness classes
- Two full size indoor courts with a range of sports available
- Spa, sauna, steam room
- Indoor soft play area
- Large creche with outdoor play space
- On site café
- Barbeque and picnic facilities
- Learn to swim and squad program
- First Aid and Lifeguard training courses
To see details of all Council leisure centres gyms and pools, go to Council’s website: