Unless you’ve been visiting another planet, you’ve undoubtedly come across the extensive media coverage lately about Artificial Intelligence (AI). You may be curious what all the excitement is about and whether you should find out more about it. However, if you were born prior to the mid–1960s and didn’t grow up with computers and the internet, you may have found it all a bit daunting and put it in the ‘too hard’ basket.
Well, here’s the good news: accessing and using AI is not difficult at all, once you know how. And the benefits it can bring, can be truly life changing. AI can unlock new opportunities for learning, creativity, and fun. With AI as your ally, you can enrich your life and make the most out of each day, regardless of your age or background.
WHAT IS AI?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is generated by computer programs that can learn and make decisions, in a similar way to how people do. These computer programs are really advanced, and they can do things that normally require human intelligence. They are able to process large amounts of data, find patterns, and use those patterns to make predictions or decisions.
One important part of AI is machine learning. This is where a computer program learns from examples. It’s like teaching a computer to recognize pictures of cats, by showing it lots of cat pictures. The program learns the features that make a cat and uses that knowledge to identify other cat pictures.
AI can also involve tasks that seem smart, like understanding human language, playing games, driving cars, and even making art and music. The more data and examples these programs have, the better they become at their tasks.
So, in simple terms, AI is about creating computer programs that learn from information and make decisions or perform tasks that usually require human intelligence. It’s like building a digital brain that can process information, learn from it, and become really good at specific tasks. The limits of AI are virtually endless and expanding every day.
The simple way to access AI is with what is known as a ChatBot, like ChatGPT. A ChatBot is simply a program you access on the internet, in much the same way as you access a search engine like Google. The difference however is instead of getting thousands of websites to visit, you get a human–like direct answer to your question or query. It’s really very simple and easy to use.
Here are examples of just some of the topics waiting for you to explore:
- Informational Questions: Ask about or check facts, definitions, explanations, or general knowledge on various topics. AI can provide information, explanations, and answers to a wide range of questions on various topics.
- How–To Questions: Inquire about instructions or explanations on how to perform tasks or achieve a certain goal. AI can provide step–by–step instructions for tasks, recipes, DIY projects and more.
- Opinions and Recommendations: Seek advice, recommendations, or opinions on various subjects. Get recommendations for books, music and movies based on your personal likes and preference.
- Creative Prompts: Request assistance with creative writing, brainstorming ideas, or generating content, stories, poems or even jokes.
- Problem–Solving & Brainstorming: If you’re facing a challenge, describe the issue, and AI can help you brainstorm potential solutions.
- Exploratory Questions: Discuss philosophical topics, futuristic scenarios, “what if” scenarios, and other thought–provoking subjects.
- Educational Queries: Ask about concepts in science, history, mathematics and more, whether you’re a student or simply curious.
- Current Events: Inquire about recent news, developments or trends in various fields from around the globe.
- Language and Communication: Seek assistance with grammar, language usage and communication advice. AI can also generate human–like text for articles, essays, stories, emails and more.
- Write Speeches: From time to time, most of us are called on to make a speech. It might be at a milestone birthday party for you or a friend, daughter or grandson’s 21st birthday or a wedding. AI will write it for you in any style you wish. e.g. Serious, heart–felt or humorous, etc.
- Emulating Characters: AI can simulate conversations in the style of famous personalities or fictional characters. e.g. Ask AI to write in the style of Shakespeare or Hemingway!
- Summarisation: AI can summarise long articles, documents, or passages of text. For instance, have you ever had to sign a long–winded legal document and found it very hard to understand? Simply copy and paste it into AI and ask it to summarise it in simple language!
- Storytelling: AI can generate imaginative and engaging stories based on prompts. That could be a bedtime story for your grandkids or the outline of the world’s next great novel.
- Learn to Play Songs: AI can write song tabs for guitar or other instruments. It can even show you how to play chords and melodies using a bar chart of the strings and frets. It can even write original songs!
- Travel Planning: Plan your next holiday using AI. Describe the type of destination, whether it’s a beach getaway, African safari or exploring a certain city or country. Ask for recommendations on airline travel and hotels within your budget, etc.
- Image Creation: AI image creators let you make images either just for fun or important tasks like greeting cards and invitations, etc. Just type in the image you want in text and AI will do the rest!
- Health and Wellness Planning: Create tailor–made exercise plans with AI to promote your wellbeing and vitality. Seek dietary advice and get delicious recipes for a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Financial and Wealth Management: AI can assist in creating and maintaining a budget, and help you manage your finances wisely. Get insights on potential investment opportunities and making smarter financial decisions. Plan your retirement with AI’s expert guidance on savings, social security and pension options.
- A Conversational Partner: AI can engage in interactive and dynamic conversations on a wide range of topics. It’s just like having a full–time conversational partner to converse with.
- Entertainment and Fun: Enjoy a good laugh with AI’s collection of jokes and riddles. Engage in brain–stimulating games and puzzles for mental agility and entertainment. Ask for fun facts, trivia questions or information about your favourite hobbies, sports or interests.
That’s just a taste of what to expect, there’s lots more. So, don’t let the young ones have all the fun. AI is for everyone! Learn how you can easily access AI in the book: Artificial Intelligence for Seniors – How using AI can improve your life.
Peter Thorpe is the author of the book: Artificial Intelligence for Seniors. Peter is an almost 80 years young retiree with a thirst for knowledge and learning. For more information visit this website: www.aiforseniors.net