The Central Coast has confirmed its place as a leading New South Wales destination, with the exciting announcement the region has taken home three golden wins in the 2023 NSW Tourism Awards, powered by Business NSW and presented in partnership with the NSW Government and Destination NSW, held on 8 November at White Bay Cruise Terminal, Balmain.
The three Gold wins include Destination Central Coast managed by Central Coast Council winning the category Local Government Award for Tourism, along with the Australian Reptile Park winning the Major Tourist Attractions category, and Crowne Plaza Terrigal Pacific also winning Gold in the Business Event Venues category.
Council’s Director Community and Recreation Services, Melanie Smith said this is a massive testament to the Central Coast and all of those who make it a great place to work, live and play.
“This highly respected Gold Award is the third win for Council’s Marketing and Tourism team in the Local Government Award for Tourism category at the NSW Tourism Awards, with Council taking out Silver in 2022 and Bronze in 2021,” Ms Smith said.
“The category is open to all local government authorities and recognises excellence in tourism planning, the provision of tourism facilities and services, marketing, event development and management, and the overall contribution made to the NSW tourism industry.
“We would like to extend a congratulations to the Australian Reptile Park and Crowne Plaza Terrigal Pacific for their incredible Gold win achievements last night, as well as Glenworth Valley Wilderness Adventures for achieving finalist status in the Award for Visitor Litter Prevention category presented by Long Jetty-based organisation Take 3 for the Sea. I commend each of these tourism businesses and their ongoing contribution to the visitor economy on the Central Coast.
“We are extremely proud of this triple Gold win for the Central Coast and having our region recognised at a state level for quality tourism management, innovation, and exceptional customer service.”
Council Administrator Rik Hart said recent rises in tourism numbers and the region’s triple gold win are major opportunities to the Coast businesses and the community.
“The Central Coast visitor economy is a major contributor to supporting the growth of the region, bringing in more than $1 billion in the last year alone, boosting local businesses as well as providing employment,” Mr Hart said.
“According to the latest visitation numbers released in March 2023 by Destination NSW, via Tourism Research Australia, the region saw 5.7 million visitors annually.
“With such incredible visitation numbers for the region and then to be recognised for our tourism team’s incredible efforts in destination marketing and management at a state wide level is something we can all be proud of.”
The Gold Award to Destination Central Coast is a major milestone adding to previous finalist and award achievements for the region:
- NSW Tourism Awards 2021 Bronze Winner, 2022 Silver Winner & 2023 Gold Winner Local Government Award for Tourism
- Green Destinations Top 100 List finalist in 2021 & 2022 & 2023
- Winner 2023 NSW Local Government Excellence Awards – Special Project Initiative for ECO Destination journey
- Highly Commended 2022 NSW Local Government Excellence Awards – Special Project Initiative for Love Central Coast
- Finalist in NSW Top Tiny Tourism Town Awards 2023
- Finalist in National Banksia Sustainability Awards 2022
- Outstanding Region in 2022 delicious. Harvey Norman Produce Awards
- Finalist in NSW Top Tourism Town Awards 2021 & 2022
- Judges Choice Award for ‘Most Compelling Itinerary’ – NSW Top Tourism Awards 2021
- ‘The Entrance’ Finalist in Wotif’s Aussie Town of the Year Awards 2021
Explore more via our dedicated destination website, LoveCentralCoast.com