BURBANK HOUSE & GARDEN
Well what a year 2020 has turned out to be , Our team has worked tireless throughout the most challenging times of 2020 to keep our nursery full of plants and pots so our customers had the best selection to choose from. We couldn’t do what we do without you, our lovely customers so from all of us at Burbank House & Garden we like to say thankyou for supporting a small family business.
Summer time is approaching, the season of sunshine, warmth, colour and productivity. With a little backup feeding and watering, many plants are at their best through summer with more flowers, fruit and foliage than any other time of the year. We will start to see heat-loving plants like Gardenias, Bougainvillea, tomatoes, basil and chillies all growing nicely.
Climbing or bush varieties of Mandevilla offer great summer and autumn colour in pink, white or red. They are great in pots in sun or part shade. There is lots of other summer colour available including improved Impatiens, Vinca, Petunias, Salvias, Fuchsias, and Calibrachoas. Good Hydrangeas are in short supply so get in early.
Things to do in the garden to prepare for summer
- Maximise water penetration by applying SaturAid and maximise water retention with a covering of a good mulch such as sugarcane or lucerne straw. This is my number 1 tip for summer gardens!
- Plant advanced seedlings early in December. With some liquid fertiliser and a bit of sunshine, you can still have a gorgeous display for Christmas.
- Are you having trouble with fungal disease on tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini? With some suitable fungicide and a high-potassium complete fertiliser, they can recover and still be fruitful.
- Watch out for lawn beetle grub in your lawn. They feed on Buffalo, Couch and Kikuyu roots. Telltale signs are dead patches in your lawn or crows and magpies digging in your lawn for grubs. We have several
- If your Gardenias are still a bit yellow, keep feeding them with Neutrogs Kahoona and water frequently.
What’s on in Nov/Dec
Workshops are held each Tuesday @11am with a different topic each week. Follow us on facebook to find our events.
We want to celebrate the festive season with you…Twilight Christmas Shopping event is on Thursday 3rd December 5pm-7pm with live music with our in house muso Mr Bob Pigott playing guitar whilst you enjoy a glass of bubbles and nibbles. Lucky door prizes to be won.