With just only 2 weeks to go, there’s still time to register for Mingara Relay For Life – a community fundraising event for Cancer Council NSW.
Happening across Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th October, teams of friends, families and colleagues raise money in the lead up to an (optional) overnight event, where team members take turns walking around a track to signify that cancer never rests, so neither do we.
Organised by passionate, local volunteers, Mingara Relay For Life is an experience that will stay with participants forever.
The event is one not to be missed with live entertainment featuring JB Dance showcasing talent, a one hour outdoor dance class provided by Zumba MEU, performances by Australian Idol contestant Charlotte McKie and local band Tip The Hat closing Day 1 with their up tempo blues and rock, sometimes a little bit funky, sometimes a little bit smooth set!
The event also hosts activities designed to celebrate Survivors and recognise their Carers, the event honours those we’ve lost during our candlelight ceremony, as the community continues to raise funds to support people affected by cancer, fund research and improve cancer prevention.
More than 80,000 Australians took part in Relay For Life last year, and over the past five years have raised over $108 million to help in the worldwide fight against cancer.
All funds raised go towards Australia’s leading cancer charity, Cancer Council NSW.
Underpinned by research, 61,000 Australian lives have been saved by improvements in cancer prevention, screening and treatment over the past 20 years.
But with an estimated 134,000 new cases of cancer expected to be diagnosed in Australia this year, we need every Australian to rally behind Mingara Relay For Life to help continue this vital work.
Here’s what else you can expect at Relay:
- Survivors of cancer and their Carers are the heart of every Relay, so each Relay begins with a lap around the track in their honour.
- In between laps, experience all the activities you can enjoy such as entertainment from local performers, market stalls, competitions and games for the whole family.
- At sunset, we light up the darkness in memory of those we’ve lost during our candlelight ceremony.
- Inspiring speakers then give us hope for a cancer free future by sharing their stories and important updates about the advancements in Cancer Council’s work.
- At the end of the Relay, we hold a closing ceremony that celebrates our incredible achievements and motivates us all to continue the fight against cancer.
Thousands of Australians have already joined this year’s movement to show that united, we are stronger than cancer.
Everyone is welcome at Relay, no matter age or ability. Participants can take part however they like by walking, jogging, running, wheeling or even dancing – it’s their Relay For Life! No matter your fitness levels, pop on some yellow and purple and give it a go!
We’re encouraging Coasties to be part of the movement and register for Relay For Life today – www.relayforlife.org.au/mingara
Mingara Relay For Life – Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th October 2023 – Mingara Regional Athletics Centre, Tumbi Umbi.